Monday, May 21, 2012

Dubai Bucket List


"Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled."

I think this quote is particularly relevant, seeing as how it is from the Prophet Mohammed, the leader of Islam. But it also illustrates my main goal here, to travel and experience the country and cultures.

I don't want to miss out on the experiences of this place in the next six weeks, so here is the start of my bucket list:

//Work in Progress//

      Ski Dubai: While some may think this is symbolic of the excesses in this part of the world, I think it has to be one of the coolest things I've seen here yet. While walking through the Mall of the Emirates yesterday, we stumbled across a restaurant that backed up against huge plate-glass windows, beyond which we saw a "winter wonderland." Wondering around, we found out that for 200 UAE Dhs (about $55 USD), we can get equipment and clothing rentals, plus a full day pass to the indoor ski slopes, snow tubing, and access to the "Giant Ball"- check out the video below.



      Scuba Diving, in an Aquarium, in a Mall: I've always wanted to go scuba diving, so why not do it in a mall? I can get my scuba certification by completing a classroom "experience," practice dives in the pool, and then a 2 hour dive in the Dubai Mall Aquarium.



      Desert Safari: Go “dune bashing” in the desert- literally driving a 4x4 into a dune, and “sand-boarding,” almost like snowboarding down the dunes.









No comments:

Post a Comment